Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tokyo Cool


When I applied for my first passport 10 years ago, the thought of traveling around Asia seems far-fetched, at best.  It was so far away.  So foreign.

I couldn't really imagine what exotic places like Thailand or Vietnam looked like.  smelled like.  felt like.

Well, now, I've been.  

They are beautiful and amazing in their own right, but more familiar than expected.  I can hear "Call Me Maybe" on the radio and pick up Doritos at the local 7/11.  While globalization has its strengths (yes, there are actually a few good things, not just sweatshops & Mcdonald's chains), it's not about preserving a unique culture and identity.

Countries and cities are starting to blend together, becoming more beige as the years pass.

Except for Japan.  

Out of all the places I've visited, Japan has one of the most unique cultures, with only less developed places like Mongolia, Bhutan and Burma in the running.

It's incredibly insular -- 98.5% of the population is ethnically Japanese & 99% speak Japanese as their first (and often only) language.  They've created their own rich civilization with artifacts that I've never experienced before, ranging from the beautiful (like this & this) to the weird (like this & this).  Plus, they have some incredible toilets (yes, seat warmers aren't just for cars). 

Even their obsession with "Americana" is truly different (honestly, I wish America was more like the Japanese take on it).

Basically, what I'm trying to say is Japan is really (fucking) cool.  

Do go sometime & check out my photos below.

PS - There's still Carly Rae in Japan, but at least it's confined to private room karakoe.








And now for some color....














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...