Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wiki Pledge: It worked on me










I've seen the Wiki Pledge before.  

Typically, I look at it, feel a bit guilty and then move on down a wiki-hole.  

Note: I'd like to say my wiki-holes involved incredibly intellectual things like thermodynamics or 18th century Russian literature.  In reality, I just dig really deep into famous people's personal lives and / or known controversies.  It's basically my dorkier version of People magazine.

But today, I donated.

Why?

Two reasons based on social psychology:

1. Social Exchange
In a social exchange, both parties take responsibility for one another and depend on each other.  This pledge reminded me that I have taken more than I have given back, and therefore, made me feel very guilty.

I mean, they are "just a small non-profit that runs the #5 website in the world"

2. The Foot-in-the-Door Technique:
They asked for the smallest donation -- just $3 USD.  And, they made it so easy with a button that led directly to Paypal.

I just couldn't say no without feeling like a complete asshole.

Therefore, I donated, but I'm fully aware I'll likely be on their eDM list forever with suggestions on "bigger and better ways" to contribute (which, I probably should).  

Regardless, for the time being, Wikipedia has taken down the banner ad on my wiki searches (pretty clever functionality).  

Now, off to "research" Rob Ford.  Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...