Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Glimpse of St. Petersburg


I've been dreaming about visiting Russia ever since reading Anna Karenina about 7 years ago; however, that dream never included -30 celsius weather.  The dream has now been accomplished.

I stepped inside St. Isaac's Cathedral, which actually was painted grey during WWII to avoid attention from enemy aircraft, and spent hours in The State Hermitage Museum with a collection just as impressive as the Louvre.

As a general rule, I typically like to go "rogue" while traveling, but we kept to the standard tourist path for safety reasons.  Regardless, it was beautiful, and I subsequently downloaded about 10 Russian novels, which I know I'll never finish.

Check out some photos below.  And, yes, it was just as cold as it looks :)















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...