Friday, September 20, 2013

Do you believe in "flow"?

By me :)
























"Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes.  Don't resist them; that only creates more sorrow.  Let reality be reality.  Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like." - Lao Tzu

A few weeks ago, I was in an "experimental videography" class and casually chatted with the students around me.

One middle-aged Singaporean, Michael, introduced himself as an actor -- an actor in 150 movies, TV shows and commercials to be exact.  I immediately started questioning why I signed up the class in the first place.  My last acting debut and finale were one in the same --  a 7th grade play where I forgot my lines and stood like a deer in spotlights for what seemed like an eternity.

I probed a bit further, and I found out Michael had been acting for less than 3 years.  He was an information security engineer (just as sexy as "an actor," right?).  One day, someone contacted him on Facebook and asked him to play an extra in a short film.  He said yes and loved it -- he felt a natural "flow" towards acting and decided to follow it.

He now acts full time and is unbelievably happy.  He also home brews his own wine (I just added that fact in because I think it's cool).

When we come to point of conflict or resistance in life, it might be because we are going in the wrong direction.  Rather than putting down your head and charging harder, maybe it's to reevaluate and jump paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...