Friday, July 12, 2013

My Introduction to Pop Culture


I'll admit it.  I live in my own world - a little "Tamara" world created in my brain.

I don't like: 
- TV (except for Girls, Jon Stewart and Arrested Development)
- Top 40 hits (goodbye Taylor Swift)
- Most movies (you've got to play at Sundance or be super depressing to catch my eye)

I'd choose a good book over People magazine any day, and I don't get the Kardashians.

I sound like a TON of fun, right?

Anyways, I'm on a rotation to the YouTube team, so I've been ramping up my Pop Culture knowledge.  Here's some very popular videos that are news to me.

PewdiepieA Swedish bro that screams while playing video games.  

(Note: Not so funny for 29 year old females watching it)

Bethany (MacBarbie) This 16 year old Cali girl has been making hair, makeup and general "life guides" since she was 12.  It reminds me of a modern-day, DIY Clueless.

(Note: There are 6M views of this room tour, which lasts 18 minutes)

Gwiyomi  This South Korean girl made this "cutie" video, which has hundreds of copycats on YouTube.  I have a suspicion that the audience is not only 13-17 year old girls, unfortunately.

My takeaway: I don't really understand as much of the world as I thought.  I feel like I'm Nancy Drew, investigating this world I didn't know existed.  It's fun.

PS - Tonight, I'll be making my own "cutie" video sung in Korean.  I hope to get 33M views.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...