Friday, July 26, 2013

Inspiring: 180 websites in 180 days

I live in a bit of an alternate world where coding skills are valued more than sportz skills.  At Google, engineers are treated like gods.  The rest of us make money to enable those gods to make cool shit.

I'm okay with this.  

I don't have any grand delusions that I'll one day become a Google engineer.  That being said, I've been hemming and hawing the past 2+ years about learning basic programming.  I even forfeited $600 for a Berkeley "Intro to Python class" that I never got around to (I did, however, start dating my "study buddy" for the class, Alan).

All that being said, I've been super inspired by this artist's self-learning journey.

Rather than hemming and hawing (i.e., me), Jennifer Dewalt actually got to work.

Four months ago, she decided she was going to learn to code, despite having 0 coding experience.  Her background is art, but she realized that art is becoming more digital each year.  Like me, she debated the best way to learn and then decided to "JFDI."

Her goal: 180 websites in 180 days.  

She started really simple with CSS and has now progressed to more complicated websites.  Here's the repository of her 115 websites to date.   

All I have to say is "go girl"!  And, now I'm hemming and hawing about doing the same.

PS - Here's her most recent website, "Splodin' Bacon!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...