Monday, July 8, 2013

The Beauty of Less


When I got ready to move from San Francisco to Singapore, I learned one thing: 

I had way too much shit.
I'm not really sure how it happened.  I honestly thought I was "low maintenance."  In fact, I spent 2 years without a real address (okay, okay, it was my parent's house) while in management consulting.  I lived out of 2 suitcases in Starwood Hotels and eventually became a "Starwood Ambassador" with a personal concierge and automatic upgrades because I spent SO many consecutive nights in hotels (more sad than brag-worthy).

Anyways, I got rid of most of my stuff and shipped 500 lb of possessions in a 42 in * 48 in 48 in crate to Singapore.  It felt SO good.

Note: At one point, I got so desperate that I threw all light-weight items out my second-story window.  Everything was taken within an hour (beauty of living in SF).

The experience made me realize a few things:
  1. I don't need much
  2. Most possessions are replaceable
  3. I should be a more conscious consumer (i.e., "less, but better" - Dieter Ram) 
That's why I really like this Uniform Project.  Sheena wore the same little, black dress for 365 as an exercise in sustainable fashion.  She raised $100K through her website for underprivileged children and has taken the idea further with 1 dress, 1 month, 1 cause (kinda like Movember for chicks).  Awesome, right?

Next time I'm at a mall (which, is more frequent than I'd like in Singapore), I'm going to channel my inner Sheena.  If she can go one year with one dress, I can easily curb my clothing buying cycle.  

(That is, unless it's really awesome; then, I'll channel my inner Dieter Ram)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...