Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Review: Steve Jobs




(Source: Charis Tsevis


While reading Steve Jobs last month, I oscillated between love and hate for the man. 

I loved is healthy disregard for the rules.
I loved his excitement, energy, and focus.
I loved that he experimented, whether it be with tech or buddhism or drugs.

I hated the way he treated people.
I hated his arrogance and narcissism.


The author, Walter Isaacson, did an excellent job covering the reality of this patron saint of modern day culture.  He didn't sugar coat Steve Job's life.  He gave credit where credit was due, but also included some of the more negative characteristics that helped him succeed -- mind control, neglect for family and friends, power plays and credit taking.

Although Steve Jobs is obviously the protagonist of the story, I found the background of the story just as interesting -- the counterculture movement of 1960s/70s and the birth of the technology movement through the Homebrew Computer Club.  Both of these things laid the foundation for the industry I'm in today; I also saw parallels in today's society -- things like Burning Man, Maker Faire and Hacker Spaces.

I'm glad I read the book -- it rounded out my understanding of Steve Jobs, Apple, Pixar and Silicon Valley in a way that wikipedia never could.  Although "Why Women Still Can't Have It All" made a splash last year, making it seem like women can't have a powerful job and a family, I think that Steve Jobs proved it's just as difficult for a man.  His life was his work, not his family; he was just better at rationalizing and displayed no guilt.  He's a modern day parable -- where you spend your time is where your heart is.

Despite his many faults, Steve Jobs was a genius -- a man that could see into the future and demanded quality and beauty over mere profits.  And for that, I have much respect.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...