Monday, August 19, 2013

Making Any Noise You Can Imagine


"I haven't made this machine so I can emulate things that already exist.  I have made this so I can make any noise I can imagine."

I few weeks ago a random thought popped into my head: "Why haven't we created any new instruments in the last century?"

We've gotten really good at playing the guitar or violin, but I don't see many people making instruments that never existed before.  The closest I've seen is electronic music with DJs that can make an entire festival go crazy (my first experience being Justice at the Treasure Island Music Festival several years ago).

That's why appreciated this TED Talk by Beardyman.  He answered my question.  He doesn't want to simply create sounds we already know.  He wants to create new noise -- any noise that he can imagine.

I think this same message can be applied outside of the realm of music.

"When you grow up you tend to get told the world is the way it is and
you're life is just to live your life inside the world. Try not to bash into
the walls too much. Try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money.

That's a very limited life. Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that
other people can use.


Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again." - Steve Jobs
Source: Sophie Ryder


























Rather than copying a DIY project from Pinterest or creating a wardrobe that mirrors the latest magazine (which should still serve as inspiration), we should be making our own creations from our imagination -- from connecting the dots. 

Rather than following inline with your peers or your work supervisor, we should be aiming for lives and careers that are unique from the status quo -- making new jobs and lifestyles.

Maybe I'm just a hyper-individualistic American with grand delusions (quite possible)...

...OR maybe this is the same viewpoint every creator has had since the beginning of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...