Monday, June 10, 2013

Removing the "T" from Can't



(Source: NYTimes)

The NYTimes ran an article this week called "Kids These Days" -- it showcased uber successful twenty-somethings, from designers to writers to entrepreneurs.

The article is not unusual.  

We're fascinated by folks that have done more in a few years than most will accomplish in their lifetime (see 30 under 30).  We like the National Spelling Bee, the Little League world series, the start-up stories of Facebook & Google and NBA basketball stars younger than most of the spectators.

My college friends and I passed around this article last week and all became a bit depressed at our lack of success and / or laziness in comparison.  Luckily, we quickly cheered up by watching this internet gem.

I know it's unrealistic to think you'll become the "next xyz" -- I'm fine with that.  I don't even know what type of "xyz" I'd want to be.  

But, I'm not okay that my dreams have become smaller each year I've gotten older.  

I'm more full of "can'ts" and less full of "cans."  I often make mental excuses for not trying things -- I'm not smart enough, I don't have the right degree, I don't have enough money, I'm not disciplined enough, I'm not creative enough, I'm not athletic enough, I'm scared, etc.  The list goes on and on...

The article mentioned a few quotes on why young people succeed where more experienced people have not:

Michael Moritz of Sequoia Capital that backed Google, Yahoo & YouTube said 20-something entrepreneurs "see no boundaries, see no limits, see no obstacle that they can't hurdle -- it is the most stimulating environment that you can ever be in."  

Vinod Khosla, another venture capitalist, said, "People under 35 are the people who make change happen.  People over 45 basically die in terms of new ideas."

I want to be on the side of making change happen.  
I want to see no boundaries.  
I want less "can'ts" and more "cans."








































(Source: Hannah Chu)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...