Monday, June 10, 2013

B&W vs Color Photography



(Source: Henri Cartier-Bresson)

I'm a photography novice.  I somehow managed to buy a really fancy camera from a guy leaving Singapore for ~$325 USD (about 20% the original cost).  I basically stole it.  

It makes people think I'm a fancy photographer (I'm okay with the illusion).  It also makes people want to "talk shop" (which turns into a very short talk).

Confession time -- I'm just now learning the difference between Black & White vs Color photography.  Not the pigment (I'm not colorblind); just when to use one versus the other.
Before, I typically turned a photograph into B&W on two occasions: 
  1. When I was feeling "artsy" on Instagram
  2. I took a shitty photo and thought I could save it by upping the contrast & turning it into B&W
Now, I know better.

We see our world in color -- a rainbow palette of swirling color at every turn of the head (okay, that was overindulgent).  

Therefore, a B&W photo will natural cause us to stop; it's different.

It's typically best to use B&W when:

1. It's about the purity of light & shadow
















































(Source: Henri Cartier-Bresson)

2. It's about effective composition (remember these from a previous post).  Diagonals, rule of thirds, oh my!





















(Source: Henri Cartier-Bresson)

3. You want the viewer to get super emo and / or depressed (or, just engaged)



















(Source: Mike Shaw)

On the other hands, you should use color when...

1. It's about the dominant hue of the photo (green & burnt orange)
(Source: Steve McCurry)

2. It's about the color of the light (a 60s horror film glow in this case)
(Source: Cindy Sherman)

3. You are able to minimize distracting colors to your benefit (we don't need a piƱata)
(Source: Annie Leibovitz)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...