Sunday, June 23, 2013

DIY Retreat: Art Classes, Day 1

This week, I'm on a retreat -- my own, DIY retreat that is in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I'm taking 20 hour of art classes & 2 days of meditation at Wat Suan Dok 
Note: All emails for the meditation class has been from thaimonkchat@yahoo.com, so TBD.

Today, I had my first session with Noina, focused on the basics of drawing.

As previously mentioned, I've been rekindling my childhood hobbies (i.e., painting) this year after making some New Year's resolutions in Myanmar.

I loved art as a kid.  That's all I wanted to do in my free time (well, that and swimming, giving the cute lifeguard, Luke, my Hi-Cs and trying to sell shit I made to my neighbors and grandparents).

As I grew older, I dropped art and focused on more mainstream activities -- basketball, student council and eventually, being fully employed in the corporate world.  All of the sudden, I no longer believed I was creative, at all.  I turned into a type-A, powerpoint machine, which wan't what I liked or wanted to be.

To solve this, I tuned into Vincent Van Gogh.  He said, "If you hear a voice within you say, 'you can't paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."

So, here's to silencing that voice (and, some pics from my class with Noina today).































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...