Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Decisive Moment

I've been studying Henri Cartier-Bresson, a modern day god in photography.

He was a hunter for the perfect photograph.

"The creative act lasts but a brief moment, a lightning instant of give-and-take, just long enough for you to level the camera and to trap the fleeting prey in your little box" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

I'm no Henri, but I tried to channel his "decisive moment" philosophy this week.  In the photograph above, I waited on the street corner as motorcycles flew by, trying to capture speed while also framing the street sign in the background.  I like the way it turned out.

"To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality.  It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy." - Henri Cartier-Bresson

That was one (very speedy) moment in time.  I'm hoping to trap many more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...